In case you don’t know there are dreams and there are dreams. There’s this story of a seventeen years old boy who had a dream and shared it with his half-brothers. But his half-brothers didn’t like him because of what he shared, so they couldn’t say a kind word to him. After reading this story again I couldn’t stop asking myself: What were the dreams of these half-brothers? What were their expectations of the future?
I really do not intend to classify dreams into spiritual or physical, that will be another topic. but I want to talk about it as a whole whether it is spiritually gotten or you decide to pursue a dream.
To simply put, dreams are intellectual expectations of the future. Nelson Mandela once said “I dream of an Africa which is in peace with itself.” When that dream will happen, I don’t know but what I am pointing out here is that a dream is what you see occurring in the future.
What Does It Cost?
Dreams are free but the journey isn’t free. There is a price to pay, that is, dreams require down payment. It may challenge you into becoming a better person, it may require you leave certain people and find certain people, it can make people misunderstand you, or push you into territories you never imagine you could get to.
But when you find your why you will find you way, when you develop your will, trusting God, you will embark on your journey.
Some people let fear, their experience or intellect determine the size of their dreams, don’t be one of them. DREAM BIG DREAM.
Dedication, perseverance, commitment, and tenacity are traits that will differentiate you from those who don’t achieve their dreams.
I also understand that some people may have challenge in believing something good can come out of their life. Let me tell you the good news: Something AMAZING can come out of your life. Yes, it’s ‘difficult’ to believe but you need to challenge that difficulty too. The truth is: that thing you see or perceive as a challenge may not be true, most times they are not true. This difficulty may be the voice of someone, or the look of things, or from your own head.
How Can You Change Your Life?
You can change your life by changing the story you tell yourself. Here’s how you can go about it:
1. Recognize the voice in your head isn’t you. Many years ago I realised some voices were sneaking into my head; those voices were really bad; not just what they said but how they make me think. I thank God I didn’t follow them, they would have hampered my progress in many ways. So, are you in such situation or something related? The secret to getting out is realising that voice isn’t you.
2. Go deep in God’s Word. You need to change inside-out and not outside-in. I haven’t seen anything that will change you faster than the Bible. It says (in Romans 12:2) ‘Do not be a conformer but be a transformer’. Conformer are changed by the things outside but a Transformer, because of what it has inside, changes the things outside.
3. Read good books, you don’t have to finish it, just start. Some people are afraid of reading, don’t be one of them. I use to be too until I knew the power gained through reading good books. I never knew the mind could grow until God opened my eyes to reading beautiful materials. My mind expounded and my heart blossom. Fast-forward to today, I am thrilled by what I’ve become, Thank GOD!
4. Write down a different story. How do you do that? You need to set goals. I laugh within whenever I hear ‘spiritual’ people say, ‘I don’t set goals’. That’s them let them be, but you? Get a vision and work (goal) the vision.
5. Tell yourself the truth. Counter-attack negative thoughts with positive words. Although thoughts are powerful, words can help communicate your intention back to your thoughts. That’s the power you have. Dare yourself.
6. Keep telling yourself the new story – the truth.
On A Final Note
God, our maker, is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of – beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes. Kindly be aware of the ‘…far more…’. Whatever your dream is today it is too small. Let me challenge you to dream bigger; of course bigger than yourself and your family.
You will succeed.
How can one break the barriers to achieving his or her dreams?
© 2016 – 2017, Abiola O. Omodele. All rights reserved.